Easy Hamburger Soup
This Hamburger Soup is loaded with vegetables and beef, and it takes no time to prep and just minutes to simmer, resulting in a rich flavorful broth. It’s a wonderfully satisfying and comforting soup for a weeknight dinner.
I don’t care what season it is I love soup, especially soup recipes that come together quickly, yet are satisfying and delicious. This easy Hamburger Soup will quickly become a favorite weeknight dinner with your family.
I can’t imagine a world without soup! Can you? I love soup year-round. I love both creamy and brothy soups. However, when I’m feeling a little under the weather I prefer brothy, like this delicious brothy Hamburger Soup.
Hamburger Soup Ingredients
You probably already have the ingredients on hand to make this easy soup. This recipe starts by browning ground beef, onion, and garlic in a soup pot or dutch oven. Then spices, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and condensed tomato soup get added.
I use frozen mixed vegetables (without potatoes) and I dice two potatoes separately for the soup. However, you can feel free to mix up the vegetables. Use all frozen, fresh, or leftover vegetables in your fridge.
What to serve with Hamburger Soup
Can I freeze this soup?
You sure can! This soup freezes beautifully. Make sure to use a freezer-safe container and leave a little bit of headspace. I recommend not freezing it for over three months. To thaw, place the soup in a refrigerator overnight.
Why is there sugar in this recipe?
Many recipes that use tomatoes call for the addition of a small amount of sugar. Sugar cuts down on the acidity of tomatoes, balancing out the flavors.
Not all tomatoes are the same. As a matter of fact, different types of tomatoes have different levels of acid in them. This recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of sugar to cut down on the acidity in the diced tomatoes. Depending on what brand or type of tomatoes you use, you might decide to adjust the sugar. I don’t recommend using over 1 tablespoon at most. You don’t want a sweet soup.
My favorite tomatoes
You probably have your own favorite canned tomatoes but just in case you don’t, I’ll share my favorite with you. RED GOLD TOMATOES! Some canned tomatoes taste metallic like the can, but Red Gold has a liner inside of their cans, separating the tomatoes from the can, and when you open them, they actually smell like fresh homegrown tomatoes. I’ve been using them for years since I first tried them.
Hamburger Soup is great for packing in lunches. The flavor actually gets even better. Ever since I had a very bad case of Covid last year, I like to keep some in my freezer for when I’m feeling a little under the weather. I actually keep 2 to 3 brothy soup recipes in my freezer for emergencies. You never know when someone in your family will get sick.
More yummy soup recipes you might like…
This quick & easy soup makes for a great weeknight dinner, and it’s very flavorful. It taste even better the following day. It also makes the perfect amount to feed the whole family a hearty bowl. I love it with a side of bread for dipping and soaking up the tasty broth.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic from a jar
- 2 large potatoes, diced small
- 2 cans beef broth, 14 ounces each
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, 14.5 ounces each
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 can condensed tomato soup, 10.75 ounce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables, 16 ounces (without potatoes)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven, or pot, brown the ground beef and diced onion over medium heat until the meat is cooked through. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Drain the mixture and return it to the dutch oven.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the frozen vegetables, and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are semi-tender.
- Add the frozen vegetables and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes and until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove from heat. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.
- This soup freezes beautifully. Simply place in an airtight freezer container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Keywords: soup, hamburger soup, hamburger vegetable soup, vegetable soup, soup recipes,