Cranberry Strawberry Salad
The flavors of tart cranberries and sweet strawberries married together, topped with a topping made of fresh whipped cream, marshmallows, and cream cheese, makes this Strawberry Cranberry Salad the perfect salad to serve with your Turkey Dinner.
This wonderful salad has been in our family for years. There hasn’t been a Thanksgiving in the past 40 plus years when this salad hasn’t been sitting beside the turkey. It’s made with a combination of whole berry cranberry sauce and sweet strawberries, and the creamy topping is made of cream cheese, whipping cream and mini marshmallows. There are also some finely chopped pecans hidden in the mix. Our family loves the crunchiness they add, but they can be omitted if desired.
My husband, Don, was used to eating cranberry sauce from a can. It was frozen, then sliced and served. For the longest time, he wouldn’t try this Cranberry Strawberry Salad. Once he finally tried it, he insisted that I make it for Thanksgiving.
This recipe requires mixing ingredients the night before, but that’s really a good thing because it takes 5 minutes to finish it the day you’re serving it.
The cream cheese gets cut into cubes and added to a bowl with the marshmallows, then the whipping cream gets poured over them. The mixture gets refrigerated overnight. The next day, the mixture gets whipped together with a mixer. That easy!
Cranberry sauce, strawberries, nuts, strawberry jello, and hot water get mixed together and poured into a 9 x 13 dish and refrigerated overnight. Easy!
Finish it in 5 minutes the next day!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!Print
The flavors of tart cranberries and sweet strawberries married together, topped with a wonderful fresh whipped cream, marshmallow and cream cheese topping, makes this the perfect salad to serve with your Turkey Dinner.
For the Salad
- 1 can, 14 ounce, cranberry sauce with whole cranberries
- 3 small boxes, 3 ounces, strawberry jello
- 1 large carton, 16 ounce, frozen sliced sweetened or unsweetened strawberries, thawed and drained well
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
For the Topping
- 1 package, 8 ounces, cream cheese, softened
- 1 small carton, 8 ounces, whipping cream
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Finely chopped pecans for garnish, optional
For the Salad
- Make sure the strawberries are well drained. Mash the strawberries with a potato masher.
- Mix together the cranberry sauce, jello, strawberries, hot water and the pecans. Pour into a 9 x 13 dish, or any similar size dish, and place in the refrigerator overnight to allow mixture to set up.
For the Topping
- Cut the cream cheese into small pieces. Place the cream cheese and the marshmallows in a medium size bowl. Pour the whipping cream over the cream cheese and marshmallows. Place the bowl in a refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove the jelled salad and the bowl with the whipping cream, cream cheese and marshmallows from the refrigerator. Using a mixer, whip the cream cheese, marshmallows and whipping cream mixture together until it is smooth and thick.
- Spread the mixture over top of the cranberry strawberry salad. Sprinkle pecans over the top.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This recipe can also be made in two 8 x 8 dishes instead of one 9 x 13.
- Walnuts can be used in place of the pecans.
- The water in this recipe has been adjusted from 3 cups to 2 1/2 cups, to allow for any juice remaining in the strawberries.
- I don’t recommend freezing this salad, as it will probably become watery.
- Serving Size: 12
Keywords: cranberrystrawberrysalad, fruit salad, cranberry, cranberry salad,Thanksgiving,