Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
These are your favorite childhood treats taken up a notch in these Oreo Rice Krispie Treats with lots of crushed and broken Oreos and extra marshmallows. They are so easy and delicious…you better double the batch!!
How many different ways can you make these yummy childhood treats? I think we all know the options are endless. I haven’t met a rice krispie treat that I didn’t like, no matter what extra ingredients were added, unless of course, it’s dry and hard.
Perfect rice krispie treats have a perfect ratio of marshmallow mixture to dry ingredients. The marshmallow mixture should always have some butter, vanilla and a pinch of salt added for a perfect flavor. Then you can add any additional ingredients along with the rice krispies.
A perfect rice krispie treat should be just gooey enough to pull apart with your fingers should you desire to do so. It should also be crispy around the edges but not hard.
When I decided to add Oreos to this recipe, I decided to add both crushed and coarsely chopped Oreos to the mixture. Therefore, I decreased the cereal by 1/2 cup and I also added an extra 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows to my regular recipe. It ended up being the perfect ratio of marshmallow mixture to dry ingredients.
I pressed the treats into an 11 x 7 dish because I wanted them on the thick side. You can also use a 9 x 9 pan for extra thick treats, or you can use a 9 x 13 pan for thinner ones. There’s never a need to grease or line the pan/dish when making rice krispie treats. They are one treat that removes easily from any pan/dish.
Tip: Use a lightly buttered spatula or folded piece of wax paper to press the mixture into the pan. Only press the mixture to level it out, but don’t push down too hard. Think “krispies”. Krispie cereal is crispy on the outside but airy and hollow on the inside, therefore, it doesn’t take much pressure to crush it. If you press too hard, you will compress the mixture and we don’t want compressed rice krispie treats!
More easy no-bake treats…Print
These are your favorite childhood treats taken up a notch, with lots of crushed and broken Oreos and extra marshmallows. You will be making these treats SO many times!
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 12- ounce bag of large marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 finely crushed oreo cookies, including filling
- 2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 coarsely chopped Oreo cookies, filling removed
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the large marshmallows and stir constantly until the marshmallows are melted. Remove from the heat, and add the vanilla, salt, and crushed Oreos. Mix to combine. Add the mini marshmallows, chopped Oreos, and the cereal. Mix until all of the cereal and chopped Oreos are coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to an 11 x 7 inch dish. Using a lightly buttered spatula or folded piece of wax paper, gently pat the mixture evenly into the bottom and corners of the pan. Don’t press the mixture any harder than you need to. Rice cereal crushes easily, and you don’t want to compress the mixture too much. You want a mixture that is more light and airy than compressed.
- Allow the treats to set for about 1/2 hour or refrigerate them for a few minutes. Cut them into squares and place in an airtight container. I recommend placing pieces of wax paper between the layers.
- Treats will stay fresh in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
For extra thick treats, you can use a 9 x 9 pan, or for thinner treats, use a 9 x 13 dish or pan.
Keywords: rice krispie treats, oreo krispie treats, krispie treats,