Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
These Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are the best pancakes ever!! Made with creamy ricotta and topped with homemade tangy lemon curd, the combination of sweet and tangy is perfect. Choose the toppings of your choice. They are delicious no matter what you top them with!!
The other day I posted my Easy Homemade Lemon Curd recipe and hinted about what my next recipe might be. Well, I guess you wouldn’t be surprised if I told you it’s a recipe using my homemade lemon curd. That’s right.
A few weeks ago, I ate at one of my favorites restaurants, First Watch, and had their wonderful Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. The pancakes had a delightful slight lemony taste and were topped with fresh lemon curd and marinated berries. I knew before leaving there that I was going to be duplicating that recipe, and that’s just what I did. I started by making my lemon curd recipe first, then I went to work on adapting my Sour Cream Buttermilk Pancake recipe into a lemony ricotta pancake recipe. I added creamy ricotta cheese, fresh lemon zest and juice to the batter, and topped the pancakes with freshly sliced strawberries and a generous dollop of Lemon Curd. Keep in mind that any fresh fruit can be used on top…blueberries, blackberries, raspberries are all great partners to lemon curd. You can use marinated berries, or a berry compote or whatever you fancy, and if you just don’t have the time to make your own lemon curd, although it’s quick and easy, you can use store-bought.
Okay, let’s talk egg whites for a second. I decided to divide the eggs, whip the egg whites and fold them into the batter. Why? For an even lighter and fluffier pancake. Don’t get me wrong, my regular Sour Cream Buttermilk Pancake recipe is light and fluffy, but I wanted to bite into the most irresistible light and fluffy, lemony melt in your mouth pancake ever. If you don’t want to spend the extra minute to divide the eggs and whip the egg whites, you can use the whole eggs in the recipe and the pancakes will still be awesome.
Isn’t your mouth watering…just looking at the creamy tart lemon curd drizzled over these pancakes…
If it wasn’t it surely is now…Print
These light and fluffy pancakes are covered in a tart lemony curd and are simply delicious!!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup full-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese, such as Galbani
- Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vanilla, vegetable oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, buttermilk and Ricotta cheese.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk just to combine. Batter should be slightly lumpy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites on low speed until foamy. Whisk on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Using a spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter. There should be some white streaks of egg white still visible in the batter.
- Using a large cookie scoop or a 1/2 cup measuring cup, pour batter onto a buttered hot griddle. Flip pancakes over once you see air bubbles start to form on top. Remove pancakes from griddle once the bottoms are golden brown.
- Top with fresh lemon curd and fresh fruit or marinated berries and serve.