Classic Cherry Delight
This Classic Cherry Delight is so easy to make and never fails to impress. It comes together in just minutes and is made of three simple layers. If you want a dessert that’s not overly sweet yet delicious, this is it!
This Classic Cherry Delight takes me back to my high school days. My mom made this often to serve with lunch after church on Sundays. Not only is it super easy to make, but it’s not heavy or super sweet. It’s just perfect!
There are three simple layers to this easy dessert…
- Graham cracker crust
- Cream cheese/cool whip filling
- Cherry pie filling topping
I like to use Duncan Hines Country Cherry pie filling for this easy dessert. It has more cherries in the filling than others I’ve tried, but feel free to use any kind you prefer to use.
The great thing about this dessert, besides being super easy to make, is how versatile it is. You can use blueberry or any other topping instead of cherry. I must say, cherry is my favorite!
Some recipes call for prebaking the crust for a few minutes to set it, but that’s not necessary for this recipe. Simply pack the crumb mixture firmly into the bottom of the dish with your hands. It will stay put, I promise. Then add your filling and cherry topping and refrigerate for a few hours and you’re ready to serve!
Some readers have epressed having problems with the crust sticking to the dish. I would recommend spraying the dish with nonstick spray. See an additional tip below.
Here’s a great tip from reader, Jody. “This is a great recipe. To remove easily, put hot water in sink. Just enough so the bottom and a tiny bit of the sides of pan are covered. Hold for under a minute and that will release the crust and it came out of the pan and cut wonderfully. Make sure the water is very hot.”
The original crust for this recipe was a thinner one. However, I never thought there was enough crust for the thick filling and topping. Therefore, I’ve increased the crust ingredients over the years, to come up with an equal ratio of crust to filling and topping.
Can you see why this recipe is called Cherry Delight?Print
This Classic Cherry Delight comes together in just minutes and is made of three simple layers. If you want a dessert that’s not overly sweet yet delicious, this is it!
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 9 whole crackers)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 container cool whip, 8 ounces
- 1 can cherry pie filling, 21 ounces
- Add the butter to a medium bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds or until melted. Add the graham cracker crumbs and sugar and mix well to combine. Pat the crumb mixture firmly into the bottom of a sprayed 8 x 8 baking dish. Set aside.
- Add the cream cheese to a large bowl. Mix with a mixer until the cream cheese of smooth and free of any lumps. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix well. Add the cool whip and mix until the cool whip and cream cheese are combined, but don’t overmix.
- Spread the filling evenly over the graham cracker crust, using a spoon or offset spatula. Spoon the cherry pie filling over the top and carefully spread it evenly over the filling.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. I like to leave it overnight.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Tip from reader Jody…This is a great recipe. To remove easily, put hot water in the sink. Just enough so the bottom and a tiny bit of the sides of the pan are covered. Hold for under a minute and that will release the crust and it came out of the pan and cut wonderfully. Make sure the water is very hot.”
Keywords: classic cherry delight, cherry delight, dessert, cherry dessert,