Crockpot Cowboy Beans
These hearty Crockpot Cowboy Beans are made with 2 kinds of meat, lots of beans, and they’re crockpot simmered in a tangy and sweet sauce made of molasses and brown sugar. A great dish for potlucks or outside cool weather gatherings!
When I picture a plate of Cowboy Beans, I picture a cowboy sitting around a campfire on a chilly night, a large black pot of beans hanging over the fire, and a starving cowboy savoring each and every bite of the beans. A hearty comforting meal that will stick to his ribs for several hours. I picture Matt Dillon and Festus, oh never mind, I’m telling my age. Shut up, Cindy!
Getting real for a moment, can you imagine what a cowboy’s beans really tasted like back in the day? I mean, they didn’t have access to much sugar, spices, etc. Their beans came from cans that were heated over the fire. I can’t imagine what canned beans tasted like back then either. Needless to say, we are so spoiled today.
Let’s talk about today’s Cowboy Beans and how easy and delicious they are…
Today’s Cowboy Beans have a ton of flavor and require very little work in the kitchen. I wish a cowboy from back in the day, could taste these Cowboy Beans. They start with combining two kinds of meat, ground beef and bacon. The ground beef gets browned with a lot of onion and the bacon gets cooked and crumbled up. Both get added to a crockpot with lots more delicious ingredients.
These ingredients include three kinds of beans, lots of them, brown sugar, molasses, ketchup and mustard. Leave them in a crockpot for 4 hours on high and voila!!!
This recipe was updated on 1/18/20.Print
Two kinds of meat are combined in these hearty filling beans and they’re crockpot simmered in a tangy and sweet sauce made of molasses and brown sugar. A great dish for potlucks or outside cool weather gatherings!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings
- 3 cans light or dark kidney beans, 15 ounces (I used dark)
- 3 cans pork and beans, 15 ounces
- 3 cans white beans, 15 ounces
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses, regular or robust
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Add the ground beef and onions to a large skillet and brown until the meat is done. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the bacon and crumble into small pieces, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Open and drain all of the beans except for 1 can of the pork and beans. Add the beans and meat to the crockpot, followed by the remaining ingredients. Use a large wooden spoon to mix the ingredients together.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Serve hot by itself or with some good cornbread muffins on the side.
- Recipe adapted from Barefeet In The Kitchen
You need to use a large crockpot for this recipe, see my pictures above recipe. It makes a huge amount of beans.