Two kinds of meat are combined in these hearty filling beans and they’re crockpot simmered in a tangy and sweet sauce made of molasses and brown sugar. A great dish for potlucks or outside cool weather gatherings!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings
- 3 cans light or dark kidney beans, 15 ounces (I used dark)
- 3 cans pork and beans, 15 ounces
- 3 cans white beans, 15 ounces
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses, regular or robust
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Add the ground beef and onions to a large skillet and brown until the meat is done. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the bacon and crumble into small pieces, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Open and drain all of the beans except for 1 can of the pork and beans. Add all the beans, including the can of undrained pork and beans, and meat to the crockpot, followed by the remaining ingredients. Use a large wooden spoon to mix the ingredients together.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Serve hot by itself or with some good cornbread muffins on the side.
- Recipe adapted from Barefeet In The Kitchen
You need to use a large crockpot for this recipe, see my pictures above recipe. It makes a huge amount of beans.