Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are ultra moist and tender and absolutely loaded with banana flavor. They are a great breakfast treat!
I love banana flavored breads and desserts, and I recently realized I didn’t have a banana breakfast recipe in my collection of banana recipes. I didn’t want a muffin that had the texture of a cupcake. I wanted it to be tender and moist, yet a little denser than a banana cupcake and I pondered on whether to add nuts or chocolate chips to the muffins. Since I couldn’t decide, I figured why not add both!! If you’re not a nut lover, you can feel free to omit them, but please don’t omit the chocolate chips. Trust me on this one!
How could you possibly go wrong when you serve up these Banana Chocolate Muffins for breakfast? Kids and adults both will love them!
Tips for making these muffins…
- Use very ripe bananas. The skins should have brown spots. They should be almost too ripe for eating. Overripe bananas are the best for baking.
- Use a pastry blender or fork to mash the bananas. It’s okay to have small lumps of bananas.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Mix only until the flour is almost incorporated, then fold in the chocolate chips and the nuts, if using.
Want more yummy banana recipes? Check these out…Print
These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist and dense and with every bite you get meltly chocolate and banana goodness. You’ll feel like you’re eating dessert for breakfast.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room melted & cooled
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 9 paper muffin holders.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and set asdie.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, egg, brown sugar and milk with a wooden spoon. Add the bananas and mix to combine. Add the dry ingredients and mix just to incorporate. Fold in the chocolate chips and pecans. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter among the muffin holders* (see notes below)
- Bake until the tops of the muffins are a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the muffin tin and transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Store muffins in an airtight container.
- Muffins will stay fresh for up to two day
- *This recipe will make 9 large or 12 medium size muffins. I used a 1/3 cup cookie scoop and made 9 large muffins. You can use a 1/4 cup scoop and make 12 medium size muffins.
Keywords: Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, Banana Muffins