Crushed Oreo cookies frozen inside a creamy and rich custard base.
- 1 cup Oreo Thin cookies, coarsely broken, about 10
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whisk egg yolks in a two cup measuring cup and set aside.
- Mix together the half and half, milk and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring constantly, and boil for one minute. Remove from heat and pour about half of the hot mixture into egg yolks and whisk vigorously for a few seconds. Pour egg yolk mixture back into the hot mixture and return to heat. Bring mixture back to a boil while stirring constantly. Boil for one minute and remove from heat. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- Place pan in a sink in cold water for approximately five minutes. Meantime, drop a few pieces of the cookie pieces into the bottom of ten freezer pop molds. Divide the custard base equally between the molds, making sure you leave at least 1/4 inch head space at the top of each mold. Drop a few more cookie pieces in the top of each mold. Make sure the final head space is at least 1/8 inch.
- Place wooden sticks in molds and place top over the molds. Place in freezer and freeze for at least six hours or overnight.
To Unmold and Freeze
- Place frozen molds in a sink of hot water for fifteen seconds. Make sure water level stops below the top cover of molds.
- Wrap each cream pop in wax paper and place pops together in a one gallon freezer bag.
- Freeze for up to three months.