This old-fashioned butterscotch cake is always a hit. It’s super moist and has a wonderful flavor and a delicious rich butterscotch frosting. It’s also super quick and easy to make!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick real unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 small instant butterscotch pudding, 3.4 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips ( I buy one 11 ounce bag, and use half for the cake, and half for the frosting)
- 3 tablespoons real butter
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk, as needed for spreading consistency
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 cake pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Add the butter to a large mixing bowl. Using a mixer, mix the butter on high for about a minute until it’s light and creamy. Add the sugar and mix for another minute or so, until the sugar is thoroughly incorporated and the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and pudding and mix to combine. Add 1/2 of the buttermilk and mix on medium-low speed until incorporated. Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients and mix until almost incorporated. Add the remaining buttermilk and mix to incorporate. Add the second half of the dry ingredients and the butterscotch chips. Mix only until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Once the flour is incorporated stop mixing.
- Spread the batter evenly in the cake pan. Gently shake to remove air bubbles. Bake for approximately 30 to 35 minutes until the cake is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. NOTE: If you insert the toothpick and it comes out with a gooey or wet mixture on it, make sure that it’s cake batter, not a melted chip.
- Transfer the cake to a cooling rack and cool completely before frosting it.
- Add the butter and butterscotch chips to a medium bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for an additional 30 seconds and stir again. You might have to do it for an additional 15 to 20 seconds, depending on your microwave. Mix until the chips and butter are melted together and smooth. Mix in the salt. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk and mix to combine. Keep adding additional powdered sugar and milk as needed until you reach the perfect spreading consistency.
- Store cake covered for up to 3 days.
Keywords: butterscotch cake, cake, butterscotch frosting,