These Mini Corn Dog Muffins are made with a super easy cornbread batter. They get baked in preheated muffin tins, resulting in golden crispy sides and moist hot dog filled centers.
- 1 cup cornmeal (I used yellow, but you can use white)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup full-fat buttermilk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 8 hot dogs, cut into fifths (40 pieces)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray two 24-mold mini muffin tins. Place the pans in the preheated oven for about 3 minutes until they are very hot. Do this right before you start mixing your batter and have your hot dogs cut into pieces. The hot molds will create a slightly crunchy texture on the outside of the muffins and they will be moist on the inside, just like your favorite cornbread.
- Make the batter: In a medium bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, and sugar. Set aside. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Add the buttermilk and butter and whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until incorporated. Don’t overmix. Drop about 1 tablespoon of batter, into each mold. Make sure you don’t fill the molds over 3/4 full.
- Add the hot dogs: Add a piece of hot dog to the center of each mold of filling. Make sure the hot dog are evenly cut on the end you’re placing in the batter to ensure they don’t fall over.
- Bake for approximately 8 to 10 minutes until the muffins are golden brown on top.
- These Mini Corn Dog Muffins can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator. Wrap and place in the microwave to reheat, or cover and warm in the oven.
Keywords: mini hot dog corn muffins, corn dog muffins, corn dogs, mini corn dogs,