This is the original Coconut Pecan Frosting that we are all so familiar with on the Authentic German’s Chocolate Cake. This frosting is packed full of coconut and pecans and is awesomely delicious! The dessert you choose to frost with it is simply a vehicle to transport this delicious frosting to your mouth!
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 stick real butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Place the milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat while stirring slowly but constantly until the mixture has thickened. This usually takes about 12 minutes. If you double the recipe, it takes 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the coconut and pecans. Mix to combine and frost your favorite cake, brownies, or cookies.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Refrigerated frosting will stay fresh for up to 7 days.
Keywords: coconut pecan frosting