This Chicken a la King is so easy to make and it’s a comforting, filling meal. So good over biscuits, rice, pasta, or toast. It’s delicious no matter how you serve it.
- Biscuits (here is a very quick & easy drop biscuit recipe).
- 1 stick butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup frozen peas & carrots, mixed
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- Melt the butter in a dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, and saute over medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes or until the onion and celery are tender.
- Meantime, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Once the onion and celery are tender, sprinkle the flour mixture over them and stir for 1 minute until the flour has time to cook out. Add the chicken broth one cup at a time, while stirring constantly. Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the peas and half & half. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and simmer, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer for an additional minute.
- Serve immediately over warm biscuits, or your favorite rice or pasta.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days.
- The chicken and cream sauce can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- You can use any type of cooked chicken in this recipe. I cooked my own skinless chicken breasts in the oven and cut them into chunks, but you can use any leftover cooked chicken.
Keywords: chicken a la king, chicken, chicken recipes, dinner recipes, comfort food,