Steam makes this Stovetop Chocolate Cake super moist as it cooks in a dutch oven. It’s super easy and a quick fix for that big chocolate craving. Moist and delicious!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa, such as Hershey’s
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder, (you can omit if you don’t have)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted, ( I used unsalted and a pinch of salt)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Cut a piece of foil about 18 inches long and scrunch it together along the length to form a snake about 1 inch in thickness. Shape it into a coil and place it in the bottom of a large dutch oven. Add enough water to reach about 3/4 up the sides of the coil, about 1 inch of water.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 9 inch round cake pan with cooking spray, line pan with a cut out round of parchment paper, then spray the parchment paper. Place the pan on top of the coil in the dutch oven and set aside.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda into a medium bowl, then whisk in the salt, (the salt is too large to sift through a sifter).
- Whisk together the sugar, eggs and butter in a large bowl. Add the water, espresso powder, sour cream and vanilla and whisk together. Add the flour and whisk just until incorporated. Do not over whisk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. NOTE: If your dutch oven has a self basting lid, it will have little dimples or spikes on the underside of the lid. Place a piece of parchment paper over the dutch oven, then place the lid on top of the paper. This will prevent water from dripping from the underside of the lid onto the cake.
- Once lid has been placed on the dutch oven, turn heat on high until the water comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and steam with lid on until the cake is just firm to the touch in the center, about 23 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and remove the lid. Allow cake to set in dutch oven until the pan is cool enough to handle, then transfer the cake pan to a wire rack. Run a sharp knife around the edges of the pan and allow cake to cool completely. Invert cake onto a plate and remove parchment paper and invert again onto a separate plate.
- Sprinkle the top of cake with powdered sugar to serve or add a scoop of ice cream or dollop of whipped cream on the side.
- Store cake in an airtight container. Cake will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
- Anytime you’re using kosher salt in a recipe, it will not sift through a sifter or wire mesh strainer. Sift the other dry ingredients first, then whisk in the salt.
- If your cake pan will not fit in the dutch oven, your dutch oven is a small one. You can use an 8 inch cake pan and it will work fine for the cake and will fit in the dutch oven. Cake will take longer to bake in an 8 inch cake pan, approximately 35 minutes.
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: chocolate cake, one layer cakes, cake recipes, stovetop chocolate cake, stovetop cakes, desserts, valentine desserts, valentine recipes, chocolate recipes,