This is a perfect light starter soup for a main meal or to have with a sandwich. It’s simple but very flavorful.
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 large leek, (white part only) thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup small alphabet pasta
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Saute’ the butter and onion in dutch oven until the onion is translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the leak and green onions and cook covered over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the peas, chicken broth, water, pasta, and salt and reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and basil.
- Serve hot as a starter for a main meal or with sandwiches.
Keywords: spring onion soup, alphabet soup, spring soup, onion soup, pea soup,