These soft breadsticks are easy to make and so tender and buttery. They are the perfect side for any meal.
- 1 cup warm water, 110 to 120 degrees
- 1 tablespoon Active Dry Yeast (or one .25 ounce packet)
- Pinch of sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/8 to 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat an oven to 160 degrees and turn off. Lightly butter a large baking sheet (11 x 17) and set aside. Grease a large mixing bowl with butter and set aside.
- PROOF THE YEAST: Add the yeast and pinch of sugar to the warm water and using a spoon, lightly press any floating yeast under the water so that it’s wet. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- MIX & KNEAD: To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the yeast mixture, 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, the egg, sugar, salt and 3 1/8 cups of the flour. Mix on low speed to combine. Since you’re using the dough hook, you need to stop and scrap the flour down from the sides with a spatula a few times. If the dough is still wet, add the remaining 1/8 cup of flour. Once it’s combined turn the mixer to medium-high speed and mix/knead for 5 minutes. The dough should pull away from the sides completely and cling to the dough hook. It should be smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough 2 to 3 times with your hands and form it into a ball.
- FIRST RISE: Place the dough ball top side down in the greased bowl, then flip it over. Place a lint free kitchen towel over the bowl and place it in the warm turned off oven. Leave it in the warm oven until the dough has almost doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the bowl from the oven. Turn the oven back on to 160 degrees. After it preheats for about 2 minutes, turn it off.
- Punch down the dough and transfer it to a lightly floured work surface. Roll the dough out into a rectangle, about 10 x 16 inches. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 16 strips.
- Place the dough strips on the buttered cookies sheet.
- SECOND RISE: Cover the pan with a lint free towel and place in the oven again. Allow the dough strips to rise for 15 minutes in the oven. Remove them from the oven and allow them to set on a counter for an additional 15 minutes covered.
- Meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. After the second 15 minutes has ended, brush the dough strips with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter.
- Bake the breadsticks for 18 to 20 minutes until they are golden brown on top and remove them from the oven.
- Brush the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the hot breadsticks and sprinkle with sea salt. Alternately, you can use garlic salt, parmesan cheese, or your favorite herbs.
- Serve warm.
- If your kitchen is pretty warm, around 75 degrees, feel free to skip the step of placing the dough in a warm oven.
Keywords: bread, bread sticks, dinner sides, soft bread sticks, bread, sides, yeast bread, appetizers,