This Small Batch Cream Cheese Frosting is sweet, tangy, and creamy, and it pairs great with cakes and cupcakes. Made with five simple ingredients, you can whip it up in no time. It’s the perfect amount for frosting twelve cupcakes or a small cake.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Add the cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer). Mix on medium speed until cream cheese is smooth and free of any lumps. Add the butter and salt and mix until creamy and smooth. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing to incorporate. Add the half & half or milk if needed for a perfect piping consistency and mix until smooth.
- If not using right away, refrigerate the frosting for up to 3 days. Remove from refrigerate and allow the frosting to sit for about 15 minutes, then mix with a hand mixer for about 1 minute until it’s creamy and smooth again.
- For piping on cupcakes, fill a pastry bag two-thirds full with frosting, using your favorite piping tip. Frost cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles if desired.
- This recipe makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes or 2 6-inch cake layers.
Keywords: cream cheese frosting, frosting, frosting recipes, cupcake frosting, small batch frosting, small batch cream cheese frosting,