This delicious Roasted Cauliflower White Cheddar Soup starts with freshly roasted cauliflower, and gets added flavor from sauteed vegetables and added creaminess from white cheddar cheese and it’s perfect comfort food!
- 1 head cauliflower, around 2 pounds, rinsed, cored and chopped into small florets
- 2 carrots, peeled & very thinly sliced
- 1/2 stick butter, unsalted
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 rounded teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Additional salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bar white cheddar cheese, 6 ounces, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place carrots in a small pan. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until tender and drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, spread the cauliflower out in an even layer on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt & pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake until cauliflower turns a light golden color and looks crispy around the edges and remove from oven. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add the celery, onions, salt & pepper and saute until the celery is almost tender. Add the garlic and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the broth and the flour and whisk constantly over medium heat for about 2 minutes until the flour has had time to cook out. Add the remaining broth, carrots and cauliflower and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the milk and heavy cream and cook stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until soup has slightly thickened. Add about 1 scant cup of the cheese and continue cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve in soup or bread bowls. Sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- This soup yields 4 large soup bowls or 6 bread bowls. See my previous post for bread bowls for a great way to serve this creamy soup.
- Cook time includes time for roasting the cauliflower.
- Serving Size: 4