This scrumptious Pumpkin Praline Pie hides a delicious pecan praline layer on the bottom. A great addition to any Thanksgiving dessert table.
- 1 (9-inch) shallow pastry shell, partially prebaked
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Prepare your favorite single-crust pie shell for a shallow pie. I use this one. To ensure your pie doesn’t have a soggy bottom, partially pre-bake the pie shell before making the filling. To do this, roll out and fit the pie dough into a pie dish. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Fork the bottom of the pie shell a few times with a fork. Crumple up a piece of parchment paper, un-crumple it and place it in the pie shell. Fill the pie shell with dried beans or ceramic pie weights. Bake the pie shell for about 20 minutes until it is starting to change color on the bottom and the edges are a light golden brown. Remove the pie shell from the oven and remove the pie weights and parchment paper. Set aside while you prepare the praline mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, chopped pecans and melted butter. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the bottom of the pie shell, while lightly pressing down. Set aside.
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients, mixing well until everything is well combined. You can do this by hand with a whisk or use a hand mixer. Pour the filling over the praline layer in the pie shell and spread out evenly.
- Add foil around the edges of the pie shell. Bake the pie for 10 minutes on the lowest rack position in the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake the pie for approximately 40 more minutes or until the pie is no longer jiggly in the center and transfer the pie to a cooling rack. Allow the pie to cool to lukewarm or room temperature before serving.
- Using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, or use a hand mixer, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar followed by the vanilla, and continue beating until the whipping cream becomes thick and smooth.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream on top of each slice of pie and sprinkle with pecans.
- Total bake time includes partially pre-baking the pie shell.
- Prep time includes prepping the pie shell.
Keywords: pie, pumpkin pie, pumpkin recipes, pumpkin praline pie, pie recipes, Thanksgiving pies, Thanksgiving desserts,