This Apple Snack Cake is an old-fashioned cake that goes back many years. Also known as Johnny Appleseed Cake, this cake is moist, warmly spiced, and delicious and it’s the easiest cake you’ll ever make. It’s a perfect cake for a small gathering and it will disappear within minutes!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granny smith apples, peeled and chopped, (or any baking apple such as Honeycrisp or Jonagold)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Caramel topping such as Smuckers, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 9 or 8 x 8 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix with a hand mixer for about 2 minutes until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine. Add the dry ingredients and mix for a few seconds until the flour is incorporated. Fold in the apples and pecans.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared cake pan. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The top should be golden brown. Don’t overbake.
- Allow the cake to slightly cool and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel topping if desired.
- Store cake covered for up to 3 days.
- This Apple Snack Cake freezes beautifully. Wrap tightly with 2 to 3 layers of plastic wrap, then a heavy layer of foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw on a counter or overnight in the refrigerator. Wrap pieces of cake and microwave for a few seconds to warm.
Keywords: apple cake, apple dessert, apple, apple snack cake, snack cake, johnny appleseed cake,