Homemade Danish Butter Cookies are buttery and delicious and super easy to make. They are also 100 times better than those store-bought cookies in the little tins.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spoon & leveled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, (1 cup) room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons warm milk
- Sugar for sprinkling on tops of cookies
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt and set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until the mixture is light and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the egg and vanilla and mix on medium speed until all ingredients are well combined about 1 more minute. Stop and scrap down the sides of the bowl. Add the flour/salt mixture on low speed and mix until just incorporated. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of warm milk to get the perfect piping consistency. The dough will be rather thick.
- Transfer one half of the dough at a time to a large piping bag fitted with a large open star tip. I use Ateco #826. Try to use a tip that has an opening on the back end of 1/2 inch. Otherwise, it will be too hard to pipe the dough through.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. I don’t often use silicone baking mats but for this recipe I do, to help keep the cookies from spreading.
- Pipe the dough onto cookies sheets, about 2-inches in diameter. Sprinkle the tops generously with granulated sugar. Place the cookie sheets in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This also keeps them from spreading. I actually only prep and bake one cookie sheet at a time.
- Meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the cookies for approximately 15 minutes, rotating the cookie sheet halfway through. Bake until the tops are a light golden brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Keywords: danish butter cookies, butter cookies, cookies, Christmas cookies,