This Classic French Toast is so flavorful from warm spices, cream, and vanilla. It will become your favorite French toast for breakfast.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half & half, milk, or mixed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 10 slices of thick-sliced bread, (3/4 to 1-inch thick)*
- 4 to 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, for buttering griddle or skillet
- Maple syrup and butter for serving
- In a shallow dish, (big enough for dipping the bread in), whisk the eggs until well broken up. Add the half & half or milk, granulated sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees or a skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and brush it over the bottom as it melts. Allow the butter to start to slightly sizzle before adding the bread.
- Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture for about 5 seconds on each side and immediately transfer them to the hot griddle or skillet. Flip the bread slices over after they are golden brown on the bottoms, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Continue to cook until the second side is golden brown.
- *The best bread for making French toast is Brioche or Challah. I’ve also used thick-cut Texas toast bread when I don’t have the other two.
Keywords: french toast, breakfast recipes, brunch recipes, french toast recipe, breakfast ideas, brunch ideas, how to make french toast,