This frosting is creamy and rich with a true butterscotch flavor. It’s perfect on cakes and cupcakes!
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, light or dark, see note below*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Sea salt for garnish, optional
- Add the cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until the cream cheese is smooth and free of any lumps. Add the butter, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until combined. Slowly add the powdered sugar on low speed, until all sugar has been almost incorporated. Turn mixer to medium-high speed and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto cooled cupcakes or cake layers. This is a rich frosting, therefore if I pipe it on cupcakes I don’t pipe it very high.
- Garnish the top of the cake or cupcakes with sea salt if desired. I like the addition of sea salt since the frosting is rather sweet.
- *I used dark brown sugar in the frosting recipe. However, the frosting is very rich. That’s why I love the added sea salt. The darker the brown sugar, the more butterscotch flavor. If you don’t want overly rich frosting, you might try using light brown sugar the first time you make it.
Keywords: frosting, butterscotch frosting, frosting recipes,