This Buttermilk Cornbread is moist and buttery and takes less than 30 minutes to bake. It’s a great side with any meal.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups full-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Adjust oven rack to the center. Set aside a 10-inch iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix just until combined. It will be slightly lumpy. Allow the mixture to rest while you preheat the skillet.
- Add the butter to the iron skillet. Place it in the oven until the butter is melted and starting to sizzle and turn brown. Remove from the oven.
- Pour the batter mixture into the iron skillet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. I bake for 20 minutes. If you want a darker crust, bake for 25. Some people like their cornbread dark and very crusty.
- Cut into 8 wedges and serve hot as a side or buttered with your favorite jam or honey.
- If you don’t have an iron skillet, you can use a round cake pan, 2 quart baking dish or a square pan.
Keywords: Cornbread, southern cornbread, baked cornbread, iron skillet corn bread, buttermilk cornbread, bread, dinner sides,